Tag Archives: Viet Nam

Be Scared But Do Something About It

When I think of patriotic holidays my thoughts quickly gravitate toward my late father.  We did not have a real warm and fuzzy relationship.  He was not that kind of guy and neither is his oldest son.  I attribute that … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

70 Years Ago Today

Seventy years ago today, well over 160,000 allied troops stormed the beaches of Europe in what proved to be the beginning of the end for the axis powers and preserved the American way of life. I speak of D-Day. If … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Measure vs. Manufacture

I am not a military veteran.  I have to get a bit into my extended family to find any living ones.  My late father served in World War II, but like most of his generation, took his discharge as soon … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Thanksgiving 2013 With Roots In 2008

Writing a daily political commentary column has its challenges.  They mainly entail finding the time.  That is why my efforts between April and November of 2012, when I took a fulltime position with the Obama campaign, were sparse.  Generally finding … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Poetic Justice And Hopefully Deja Vu

Last week Friday Republican Senator Saxby Chambliss of Georgia announced he would not seek reelection in 2014.  If I cried that day this announcement was certainly not the motivation!  Chambliss came to the Senate as a result of what many … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

The Other 1%

The occupy movement brought class warfare into the American conversation with its slogan of, “We are the 99%”.  The implication being that the remainder was the 1% who were benefiting from the exploitation of the 99%.  The reality is that … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

He Has Nothing To Lose – But Your Family Does

It’s a rhetorical line that every politician seems to utilize every election, “This is the most important election of our lifetime.”  In 2012 that “line” is true – to date anyway.  The two Parties have radically different views of the … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

As A Life Hangs In The Balance

When the history of the Occupy movement is written two people may well have the greatest impact on its outcome.  They are Anthony Bologna and Scott Olsen.  One is from New York City and certainly will be a villain.  The … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Something To Do With Your Grandchildren

The Occupy Wall Street movement has just entered its second month.  It is difficult to comment on it because it has evolved and is no longer a single homogeneous event.  Perhaps it never was.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

A Day To Remember

Sixty-seven years ago today, well over 160,000 allied troops stormed the beaches of Europe in what proved to be the beginning of the end for the axis powers and preserved the American way of life.  I speak of D-Day.  If … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment